Version for visually impaired

13th century

By the order of the Great Duke of Volyn Vladimir Vasilkovich, who was in control of Berestye territories, during the period from 1276 to 1288, bar-brick and stone tower was constructed in Berestye as well as in Kamenets. Information about it was preserved in Ipatyevsky Chronicles. Donjon in Berestye (height 20 m, wall thickness 1.3 m) and Kamenets Tower could resist stone machine attacks. For more than five centuries Berestye Tower served as defence and control centre until it was taken down at 1831 while building Brest Fortress. Kamenets Tower preserved till today and Brest Regional History Museum was created there.

During the archeological research in 1968-1980 supervised by the doctor of history P.F. Lysenko a uniquely preserved Berestye settlement dating back to 13th century was discovered. The vivid examples of household, culture and highly developed crafts of the European town of 11-13th century were revealed.

Ancient town’s centre was densely built up with wooden houses. Floors, streets and passages were paved with thick plane boards made of softwood. Found jewelry was made in traditions of Dregovichi tribes: bracelets, rings, temporal rings, pins, fibulas and beads. Boxwooden comb with 13 letters of Cyrillic alphabet carved on it is the first and the only primer of that time discovered on the territory of Belarus. To the most valuable findings belong also a chess king made of stone decorated with circular ornament and Christian encolpion cross made of bronze.
Герб Брестской области